Main Article Content
The main aim of this report is to identify and describe the idea of digital leadership. For the study, the effects of digital leaders' traits and experience on the digitalization process will be examined. Different multinational and global businesses have been examined to apply the concept of digital leadership to their businesses. In this paper, with the goal of an organizational literature review, we analyze the concept of digital leadership. The paper seeks to identify the digital leadership concept; to analyze these abilities and their impacts deeply in the new digital age. As a result of detailed literature research, digitalization and technological developments lead businesses to transform organizational structures, processes, business models, and strategies. Digital leadership is crucial for organizations to survive in the new digital era by adapting and transforming business strategies. To accomplish business objectives and successfully drive the digital business transformation, digital leaders use and enhance the company's digital assets. Digital leaders have different abilities and perspectives compared to traditional leaders. However, many organizations do not understand digital leaders' value, leading to poor performance and unrecoverable failures. This research paper demonstrates a strong link between digital leadership and corporate success and productivity, following the analysis and clarification of the digital leadership concept generated in the modern age and the review of variable business strategies and positioning of the leadership concept in different sectors.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
In submitting the manuscript to the International Journal of Educational Administration, Management, and Leadership (IJEAMaL), the authors certify that:
- They are authorized by their co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
- The work described has not been formally published before, except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, thesis, or overlay journal.
- That it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere,
- The publication has been approved by the author(s) and by responsible authorities – tacitly or explicitly – of the institutes where the work has been carried out.
- They secure the right to reproduce any material that has already been published or copyrighted elsewhere.
- They agree to the following license and copyright agreement.
License and Copyright Agreement
Authors who publish with the International Journal of Educational Administration, Management, and Leadership (IJEAMaL) agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the International Journal of Educational Administration, Management, and Leadership (IJEAMaL) right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors can enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the International Journal of Educational Administration, Management, and Leadership (IJEAMaL) published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or edit it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) before and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- Abbu, H. R., & Gopalakrishna, P. (2021). Synergistic effects of market orientation implementation and internalization on firm performance: Direct marketing service provider industry. Journal of Business Research, 125, 851–863. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.06.004
- Abollado, J. R., & Shehab, E. (2018). A Systems Approach for the Definition of Lean Workflows in Global Aerospace Manufacturing Companies. Procedia CIRP, 70, 446–450. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2018.03.053
- AlHinai, Y. S. (2020). Disaster management digitally transformed: Exploring the impact and key determinants from the UK national disaster management experience. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 51, 101851. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2020.101851
- Ardito, L., Raby, S., Albino, V., & Bertoldi, B. (2021). The duality of digital and environmental orientations in the context of SMEs: Implications for innovation performance. Journal of Business Research, 123, 44–56. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2020.09.022
- Arokiasamy, A. R. A., Abdullah, A. G. K. bin, & Ismail, A. (2015). Correlation between Cultural Perceptions, Leadership Style and ICT Usage by School Principals in Malaysia. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 176, 319–332. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.478
- Barchiesi, M. A., & Fronzetti Colladon, A. (2019). Big data and big values: When companies need to rethink themselves. Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.10.046
- Berné-Martínez, J. M., Arnal-Pastor, M., & Llopis-Amorós, M.-P. (2021). Reacting to the paradigm shift: QCA study of the factors shaping innovation in publishing, information services, advertising and market research activities in the European Union. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 162, 120340. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.120340
- Brunswicker, S., Bertino, E., & Matei, S. (2015). Big Data for Open Digital Innovation – A Research Roadmap. Big Data Research, 2(2), 53–58. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bdr.2015.01.008
- Büyüközkan, G., Havle, C. A., & Feyzioğlu, O. (2021). Digital competency evaluation of low-cost airlines using an integrated IVIF AHP and IVIF VIKOR methodology. Journal of Air Transport Management, 91, 101998. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2020.101998
- Cabras, I., Goumagias, N. D., Fernandes, K., Cowling, P., Li, F., Kudenko, D., Devlin, S., & Nucciarelli, A. (2017). Exploring survival rates of companies in the UK video-games industry: An empirical study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 117, 305–314. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2016.10.073
- Carroll, C. L., & Ramachandran, P. (2014). The Intelligent Use of Digital Tools and Social Media in Practice Management. Chest, 145(4), 896–902. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.13-0251
- Charlier, S. D., Stewart, G. L., Greco, L. M., & Reeves, C. J. (2016). Emergent leadership in virtual teams: A multilevel investigation of individual communication and team dispersion antecedents. The Leadership Quarterly, 27(5), 745–764. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2016.05.002
- Cozzolino, A., Corbo, L., & Aversa, P. (2021). Digital platform-based ecosystems: The evolution of collaboration and competition between incumbent producers and entrant platforms. Journal of Business Research, 126, 385–400. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2020.12.058
- de Villiers, C., Kuruppu, S., & Dissanayake, D. (2020). A (new) role for business – Promoting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals through the internet-of-things and blockchain technology. Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2020.11.066
- Dimitrios, N. K., Sakas, D. P., & Vlachos, D. S. (2013). The Role of Information Systems in Creating Strategic Leadership Model. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 73, 285–293. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.02.054
- Elia, G., Margherita, A., & Passiante, G. (2020). Digital entrepreneurship ecosystem: How digital technologies and collective intelligence are reshaping the entrepreneurial process. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 150, 119791. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2019.119791
- Erdmann, A., & Ponzoa, J. M. (2021). Digital inbound marketing: Measuring the economic performance of grocery e-commerce in Europe and the USA. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 162, 120373. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.120373
- Frank, A. G., Mendes, G. H. S., Ayala, N. F., & Ghezzi, A. (2019). Servitization and Industry 4.0 convergence in the digital transformation of product firms: A business model innovation perspective. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 141, 341–351. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2019.01.014
- Gan, B., Menkhoff, T., & Smith, R. (2015). Enhancing students’ learning process through interactive digital media: New opportunities for collaborative learning. Computers in Human Behavior, 51, 652–663. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.12.048
- Gençer, M. S., & Samur, Y. (2016). Leadership Styles and Technology: Leadership Competency Level of Educational Leaders. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 229, 226–233. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.07.132
- Gozman, D., & Willcocks, L. (2019). The emerging Cloud Dilemma: Balancing innovation with cross-border privacy and outsourcing regulations. Journal of Business Research, 97, 235–256. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.06.006
- Hassani, H., Silva, E. S., & Al Kaabi, A. M. (2017). The role of innovation and technology in sustaining the petroleum and petrochemical industry. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 119, 1–17. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2017.03.003
- Holzmann, P., Breitenecker, R. J., Schwarz, E. J., & Gregori, P. (2020). Business model design for novel technologies in nascent industries: An investigation of 3D printing service providers. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 159, 120193. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.120193
- Kamalaldin, A., Linde, L., Sjödin, D., & Parida, V. (2020). Transforming provider-customer relationships in digital servitization: A relational view on digitalization. Industrial Marketing Management, 89, 306–325. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2020.02.004
- Katsos, J. E., & Fort, T. L. (2016). Leadership in the promotion of peace: Interviews with the 2015 Business for Peace honorees. Business Horizons, 59(5), 463–470. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2016.03.010
- Lee, F. L. F., & Chan, J. M. (2015). Digital media use and participation leadership in social protests: The case of Tiananmen commemoration in Hong Kong. Telematics and Informatics, 32(4), 879–889. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2015.04.013
- Llopis-Albert, C., Rubio, F., & Valero, F. (2021). Impact of digital transformation on the automotive industry. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 162, 120343. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.120343
- Luck, L. T., Hashim, F., & Din, S. Z. M. (2012). A Creative and Literary Writing Digital LMS in Supporting Writers’ Group Learning and Knowledge Sharing among Creative Writers. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 67, 238–249. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.11.326
- Malloch, K. (2014). Beyond Transformational Leadership to Greater Engagement: Inspiring Innovation in Complex Organizations. Nurse Leader, 12(2), 60–63. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mnl.2014.01.004
- Martín-Rojas, R., García-Morales, V. J., Garrido-Moreno, A., & Salmador-Sánchez, M. P. (2020). Social Media Use and the Challenge of Complexity: Evidence from the Technology Sector. Journal of Business Research. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.12.026
- Muller, H. (2020). Future State 2025: How Top Technology Executives Disrupt and Drive Success in the Digital Economy. John Wiley & Sons.
- Pagani, M., & Pardo, C. (2017). The impact of digital technology on relationships in a business network. Industrial Marketing Management, 67, 185–192. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2017.08.009
- Palmié, M., Wincent, J., Parida, V., & Caglar, U. (2020). The evolution of the financial technology ecosystem: An introduction and agenda for future research on disruptive innovations in ecosystems. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 151, 119779. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2019.119779
- Petersone, B., & Erzikova, E. (2016). Leadership and public relations in two emerging markets: A comparative study of communication management in Latvia and Russia. Public Relations Review, 42(1), 192–200. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2015.09.007
- Sestino, A., Prete, M. I., Piper, L., & Guido, G. (2020). Internet of Things and Big Data as enablers for business digitalization strategies. Technovation, 98, 102173. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2020.102173
- Simatupang, T. M., & Widjaja, F. B. (2012). Benchmarking of Innovation Capability in the Digital Industry. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 65, 948–954. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.11.225
- Sklyar, A., Kowalkowski, C., Tronvoll, B., & Sörhammar, D. (2019). Organizing for digital servitization: A service ecosystem perspective. Journal of Business Research, 104, 450–460. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.02.012
- Somerville, M. M. (2013). Digital Age Discoverability: A Collaborative Organizational Approach. Serials Review, 39(4), 234–239. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.serrev.2013.10.006
- Sommarberg, M., & Mäkinen, S. J. (2019). A method for anticipating the disruptive nature of digitalization in the machine-building industry. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 146, 808–819. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.07.044
- Sunarsi, D., & Erlangga, A. (2020). The Effect of Leadership Style and Work Environment on the Performance of Stationary Pump Operators in the Water Resources Office of West Jakarta City Administration. International Journal of Advances in Social and Economics, 2(3).
- Syam, H., Akib, H., Patonangi, A. A., & Guntur, M. (2018). Principal entrepreneurship competence based on creativity and innovation in the context of learning organizations in Indonesia. Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 21(Special Is).
- Thomson, N. B., Rawson, J. V, Slade, C. P., & Bledsoe, M. (2016). Transformation and Transformational Leadership:: A Review of the Current and Relevant Literature for Academic Radiologists. Academic Radiology, 23(5), 592–599. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2016.01.010
- Tronvoll, B., Sklyar, A., Sörhammar, D., & Kowalkowski, C. (2020). Transformational shifts through digital servitization. Industrial Marketing Management, 89, 293–305. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2020.02.005
- Veitas, V., & Weinbaum, D. (2017). Living Cognitive Society: A ‘digital’ World of Views. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 114, 16–26. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2016.05.002
- Weerakkody, V., Omar, A., El-Haddadeh, R., & Al-Busaidy, M. (2016). Digitally-enabled service transformation in the public sector: The lure of institutional pressure and strategic response towards change. Government Information Quarterly, 33(4), 658–668. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2016.06.006
- Wesseling, J. H., Bidmon, C., & Bohnsack, R. (2020). Business model design spaces in socio-technical transitions: The case of electric driving in the Netherlands. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 154, 119950. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.119950
- Xanthopoulou, D., & Papagiannidis, S. (2012). Play online, work better? Examining the spillover of active learning and transformational leadership. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 79(7), 1328–1339. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2012.03.006
- Zhang, H., Shi, Y., Liu, J., & Wu, X. (2021). How do technology strategies affect the catch-up progress of high-tech latecomers? Evidence from two Chinese research-institute-transformed telecommunications firms. Journal of Business Research, 122, 805–821. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2020.03.007